MINNEAPOLIS — Federal prosecutors have dropped assault charges against two Venezuelan men after a dramatic reversal in a case involving an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) shooting that sparked protests and raised serious credibility concerns about federal accounts of the incident.
The Justice Department moved Thursday to dismiss charges with prejudice against Alfredo Alejandro Aljorna and Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, meaning the case cannot be refiled. In court filings, federal prosecutors acknowledged that incorrect information had been presented and cited newly reviewed video evidence that contradicted earlier sworn statements.
The shooting occurred in mid-January as federal immigration agents conducted enforcement operations in north Minneapolis. According to the initial statement from the Department of Homeland Security, Sosa-Celis was the driver of a vehicle that agents attempted to stop. DHS alleged the men resisted arrest and assaulted an officer with a shovel or broomstick before the agent fired what officials described as a “defensive shot.”
Days later, however, a filing by the United States Department of Justice offered a conflicting narrative, identifying Aljorna as the driver and detailing a vehicle pursuit that ended near the men’s residence.
Now, in a stunning development, federal authorities say elements of the original case were materially inconsistent with video evidence. ICE Director Todd Lyons confirmed that two federal agents have been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation into “untruthful statements” made under oath. The agents could face termination or potential criminal prosecution.
Shooting Followed Deadly Incident
The confrontation unfolded just a week after a separate ICE shooting in Minneapolis that left Renee Nicole Good dead, an incident that also fueled community outrage and demonstrations outside the Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building.
Attorneys for Aljorna and Sosa-Celis maintain the two men did not assault federal agents. Aljorna’s lawyer described the use of force as “unreasonable” and accused officers of fabricating claims to justify the shooting.
Family members provided livestream videos and 911 calls that painted a sharply different picture from the government’s initial account. According to relatives, Aljorna, who was working as a DoorDash driver, believed he was being followed and drove home. After slipping free from an agent who tackled him outside the residence, both men retreated inside. Sosa-Celis has said he was shot in the leg as he attempted to close and lock the door.
Federal filings now concede that previously submitted allegations were contradicted by video evidence, though authorities have not publicly detailed the footage.
Broader Credibility Questions
Legal analysts say the motion to dismiss with prejudice is highly unusual and underscores growing judicial skepticism about federal immigration enforcement narratives.
Courts in recent cases involving ICE shootings have raised concerns over inconsistencies between official statements and video evidence. Judges across multiple jurisdictions have described certain government representations as unreliable or lacking credibility.
For Sosa-Celis and Aljorna, the dismissal brings immediate relief, but leaves unanswered questions about accountability and the use of force.
Attorneys for the two men praised the Justice Department’s decision as “extraordinary” and said they intend to pursue further legal action related to the shooting.
As federal investigators examine whether agents lied under oath, the case adds to mounting scrutiny of immigration enforcement operations in major cities and the narratives that follow them.
For many in Minneapolis, the episode has only deepened mistrust and intensified calls for transparency.
The investigation remains ongoing.
By The Midtown Times Staff | Published on February 15, 2026


